AMTRA is a not-for-profit organisation, working since 1986 to support the long term future of the sector, managing the registration for about 7000 AMTRA RAMAs (Registered Animal Medicines Advisors / SQPs)
AMTRA is appointed by the Secretary of State to keep its Register of SQPs, which brings associated responsibilities including an effective disciplinary process to take action in the case of anyone not following the SQP Code of Practice, together with a mandatory system of CPD.
Additionally, AMTRA undertakes a number of other activities to support AMTRA RAMAs/SQPs, helping to support and enhance the quality of AMTRA RAMAs/SQPs, the service they provide to animal owners, and supporting their long-term future.
▪ working with Harper Adams University to develop and maintain a qualification syllabus at Higher Education Levels 4 and 5 which meets the needs of RAMAs and the requirements of the Secretary of State
▪ provision of information and advice to AMTRA RAMAs
▪ maintenance of the Register of AMTRA RAMAs (SQPs)
▪ monitoring and accreditation of continuing professional development for AMTRA RAMAs (SQPs)
▪ regulation of professional conduct (including powers to suspend registration or strike off the Register for misconduct)